Monday, March 9, 2009

Hmmm...What Next?

My journey as a graduate student is nearing its end and I will soon hold that diploma in my hot little hands. But the closer it gets to being over, I find myself thinking: "Well, what's next?" I have been pondering this question and know without a doubt that the answer is not "Now get my doctrate!" NO MORE SCHOOL! I was thinking the other day about how I would love to write children's books. I don't know the first thing about writing books or anything about the process it takes to get publihsed but it was a thought I had entertained in my brain and thought to myself: "I am going to look into this more. Later. When school is out, etc, etc."

Well, last week we had the TAKS test going on all over campus and I went into the interpreter's office to visit with Karri after she had finished giving the test. As we were visiting, I went into the closet in that office and found lots and lots of teacher books, old student workbooks, textbooks, and right in the middle of the shelf, right at eye level was a book titled: "How to Write and Illustrate Children's Book and Get Them Published" by: Treld Bicknell. I took it from the shelf and began leafing through it. I couldn't believe I was just thinking about this exact thing and there was a book right there, telling me how to do it...spooky huh?!? Now, the book is old and outdated but it was the sign I needed to know that just maybe I can become a published author...how cool would that be? I took the book back to my classroom and am reading through several of the chapters. Anyways...I think that is my next big goal. I am going to write a children's book. I am currently thinking about what kind of book I want to write. I will keep you updated as I move forward on this new journey.

No comments: